Get to see the most famous landmarks of the city of Athens with us in only a few hours! Gain an insight of Athens’s modern and ancient history in the comfort of one of our brand new vehicles. This private tour is perfect for you if you are visiting Athens for the first time or if your time in the city is limited. You will get a wonderful overview of Greece’s capital and excellent value for money!
What you will see
- The Acropolis Hill, the Parthenon, the Erechtheion, the Propylaia, the Temple of Athena Nike
- Τhe Ancient Agora, the Dionysus Theatre, the Odeon of Herodes Atticus, the Acropolis Museum
- Plaka Neighbourhood and the Monastiraki District
- The Hellenic Parliament, the National Garden, the Zappeion Gardens, the Zappeion Hall
The Temple of the Olympian Zeus, Hadrian’s Arch, The Panathenaic Stadium
Our private half-day tour of Greece’s capital kicks off with the crown jewel of Athens, the Acropolis Hill. Arguably, this is the place where classical Greek ideas and arts grew and thrived. During our tour you will marvel at the unparalleled architectural masterpieces that comprise the Acropolis complex, built mainly during the 5 th century BCE. These include the staggering Parthenon, the temple dedicated to the patron-goddess of Athens, as well as other monuments including the Erechtheion, the Propylaia and the Temple of Athena Nike. The breathtaking view of the city of Athens from above is bound to top your experience.
We will also visit nearby sites of major historical importance, including the Ancient Agora, the Dionysus Theatre - acknowledged as the first theatre constructed in the world - and the Odeon of Herodes Atticus which still hosts performances nowadays. In the same area, we will take you to explore the emblematic Acropolis Museum which houses invaluable Greek archaeological artifacts including unique sculptures from the Parthenon.
Next, a visit to the oldest residential neighbourhood of Athens, named Plaka, could not be missing from this journey back in time. Just right under the Acropolis, the highly picturesque district is full of cobblestone alleys, welcoming cafés, restaurants and small shops selling anything from souvenirs to handmade artworks, jewelry and antiques. You will also stroll through the Monastiraki district which boasts the most popular flea market in Athens. There you will find items ranging from clothing to furnishings, leatherware, collectibles, top-notch vintage goods and more.
The tour continues with a ride around the Hellenic Parliament , a 19th century impressive building which shifted from a palace of monarchs to today’s prominent symbol of democracy. In the forecourt of the building you will be awestruck by the Changing of the Guards ceremony where members of the Presidential Guard named ‘Evzoni’ continually guard and commemorate the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
Along the side of the building of the Hellenic Parliament we will also take you to see the National Garden, an unexpected oasis of fresh air and rich vegetation from all corners of the world in the heart of Athens. Other features of the garden include a striking sundial, ponds, a small zoo as well as Roman ruins. Adjacent to this green escape, the majestic setting is completed with the Zappeion Gardens and the imposing Zappeion Hall where several remarkable events are held.
Next, you will be thrilled by the grandeur of the Temple of the Olympian Zeus as we pass by the ruins of the once gargantuan monument. This sublime temple took more than 600 years to be completed and by 200 CE it consisted of 104 pillars. Yet, in the century to follow it suffered severe plundering by the invasion of barbarians while the remnants kept serving as building materials for multiple construction works in the ancient city of Athens. Today you can admire a total of 16 towering pillars remaining and also take a glimpse of the neighbouring Hadrian’s Arch , the eye-catching getaway built to acclaim the Roman Emperor Hadrian.
The tour ends with a visit to the iconic Panathenaic Stadium, widely known as ‘Kallimarmaro’, a name which highlights the fineness of the marbles used for its construction. In fact, the stadium is exclusively built of marble which makes it a one-of-a-kind attraction in the world. Built in 330 BCE, the stadium used to host parts of the glorious celebration of goddess Athena which took place in the ancient city of Athens every four years. In modern history though, it was in 1896 that the stadium came in the global spotlight with the revival of the first international Olympic Games.
Book this tour rain or shine, half a day in Athens is always memorable!
The tour includes
- English-speaking and knowledgeable driver-guide
- Brand new vehicle
- Pick-up and drop-off service from/to your accommodation or other location in Athens
- Skip-the-line service as we pre-purchase your tickets so that you enter sites and museums without delay
- Petrol costs
- Toll fees
- Parking fees
- All taxes
The tour does not include
- Entrance fees to sites & museums
- Personal purchases during the tour
- Gratuities (tips are at your discretion)
- Licensed guide (we can arrange a professional guide for you upon request)
- Food and beverages (we can arrange meals/snacks and drinks for you upon request)
- Duration: 5 hours
- Tour days: Daily and all year round
- Pick-up point: Your accommodation or any other location in Athens
- Pick-up time: Between 8:00 to 9 :00 am/flexible
- Drop-off point: Your accommodation or other location in Athens
- Essentials: Bring along your printed or mobile voucher, comfortable shoes & sun protection gear especially during summer
- Tailor the tour to your needs : Yes, upon request
- Free cancellation: Cancel your tour at least 6 hours in advance of your scheduled pick-up time and we will offer you a full refund as soon as possible. Please see our cancellation policy here.